Monday, December 5, 2016

21 Days of Inspiration & Motivation - Day 5 with Kit Kakadelas Brazier

Ultra Marathoner, Mom of 9, Grandmother of 18, Kindergarten Teacher and she's 64 years young!
I started running at UCLA in 1972 and loved it.  I ran track and cross-country for UCLA for years.  Running was the best part of UCLA.  My first marathon was the Santa Monica marathon in 1975.  I was hooked. In 1977 I ran my first ultra (50K) and I finished in 5:20 which put me as the 7th fastest woman in the US for a 50K.  I also ran a 3:29 marathon that year and qualified for Boston. I have completed over 68 marathons/ultras.  I have been in the top 10 ranking for women my age in the 100 mile event in the country.  I was the supermom of the LA Marathon because I had the most kids. 



I have been married for 38 years and have had 9 children and 18 grandchildren.  I wanted a big family and feel that running through the pregnancies and running with the kids made me a better mom.  As a young mother with a lot of kids, running was my time to think and sharpen my skills to be a better mom.  I always felt so rejuvenated when I would come back from running and I was a better mom, more energetic, happier, plus I made my closest friends from running.

Last year at Across the Years multi-day race I finished my 3rd 100 Miler and was interviewed by one of my amazing daughters Emma Jade,12 News.

-Kit Kakadelas Brazier-

No comments:

Post a Comment